Tuesday, June 9, 2009

More Wire-y Fun!

I was taking some time out in the studio - not so often now...there's no air out there, so I'm relegated to early morning, or evening (maybe). I did get some time in - and decided to just play and see what I came up with.

I was thinking of the Fruits of the Spirit - and thought they would be a nice basis for a pair of earrings....I took an oval wire shape (thanks Beadalon!), and began wrapping it with 24 gauge wire - then leaving a long-ish tail. I alternated directions of wrapping, so that every other one would naturally either go to the front or back. Once that was done, they looked very odd and spikey - but the wrapping I was pleased with.

Then I got out my precious box of Swarovski crystal bicone beads - all those sparkly colors! I began putting a different color on each spike, then making a spiral with the wire tail to give it interest, and keep the crystal on. I continued with each spike, turning them either to the front or back - and when I was done - I loved the oval shaped filled with swirls and bright bits of color - perfect!

The oval accomodated nine spikes - which just happens to be how many fruits of the spirit there are....and gave each color a corresponding fruit:
Love.................ruby
Joy..................clear/AB finish
Peace................sapphire
Longsuffering......emerald
Kindness.............purple
Goodness............copper
Faithfulness ........amythest
Gentleness..........antique rose
Self-control.........lilac

Somehow the colors just seemed to go with the names....at least to me! I attached them with two tiny Argentium jump rings to sterling silver french earwires.....just a lovely sight!!

Here is how they turned out.....and you're seeing them before they hit my iCraft store!!

Thought it appropriate to photograph them on a leaf...


A closer view....

And the reverse side....just as pretty as the front....I like that!

As always.....any feedback is much appreciated!!


4 comments:

Birdie said...

OOooooh purdy! I love your spirals too!

Fairy Cardmaker, Lisa said...

Interesting design. I love that they come with a story! If I were you, I'd include the story with purchase!

Unknown said...

That is a lovely method of working. I love it when our work has meaning. They are beautiful too...and complex!!

Linda
http://www.gallerialinda.com

Mountaindreamers said...

great spiral work , I have been thing about galaxies etc and during May had made some spiral earrings too, must be a cosmic threat seaping into our brains, great intricate work , bravo for your patience , Laura

http://icraft.ca/mountaindreamers