Monday, January 31, 2011

January - Bead Journal Project

This year I decided to join in on the Bead Journal Project
and stretch my skills and imagination, trying something a little different. This promises to be a fun thing - to create a new project each month - one that incorporates beading in it.

I decided to make my 'journal' be a collection of little fabric covered canvasses the size of Artists Trading Cards. Not too big that I can't finish in a month's time (along with everything else in my life...lol), but big enough to try out a new technique...new beads...new sizes....the possibilities are endless!

This first month was easy - as far as being 'new'. Everything about it is new to me. I have never done bead embroidery - ever. Trying to create a scene with beads - new. Trying to make the beads stay where I put them - new. But FUN!

My little canvas this month represents a new year.....the focal points are the sun's rays in white spreading out from the corner, each ending with a clear or yellow crystal bead....I saw them as chasing away the white seed bead snowflakes that float on the right side on my canvas....and below is the snow-covered land, creadted with white and light blue seed beads. New project, new beginnings, new year, new blessings and promises to come....that's what I see when I look at it!

Here it is......

Size-wise, these are a little bigger than a business card - and I am so pleased with my first foray into this new medium!
Can't wait to try out the new thing I have in mind for February!



11 comments:

Raphaela said...

Beautiful piece.

Mackin-Art said...

I like it! Not too fussy yet very evocative - great job.

Tracey Leeder said...

Nice job Trish! I love your subject matter and color choices. Its a learning process for sure!

NEDbeads said...

Wow - this is your first ever embroidery with beads??!! That's a wonderful start!!! I love it!!

Marty S said...

A lovely start for the beginning of the year with lovely colors. I like the thought that went into your piece.
Marty S
Crackpot Beader

Robbie said...

Just a beautiful, eye pleasing piece!! Nice job/workmanship too!!

ACreativeDreamer said...

Wow Trish... GREAT job (just like everything else you do)!!

Laura said...

Beautiful, especially for your first bead embroidery piece! Looking forward to seeing more. :)

Magpie Sue said...

That's lovely! I wish I'd thought to just bead directly onto the mini stretched canvases that are available at my local art supply store.

Robin said...

YES!!!! Pleased you should be! You are off to a fabulous start with your bead embroidery, both technically and artistically. Bravo!

Robin A.

Karin said...

Just lovely! What a fabulous first work.