Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Amazing What You Find....

Even though I have not been terribly active doing jewelry and crafts - I have been VERY busy! Happy to say that all Christmas presents that needed making are all done - just need boxes and wrapping - good feeling that!

I also have joined a couple of groups here on the net. I have always wanted to do a bit of 'giving back' with my crafts - but never could find a good way to do that. Now I have found not one, but two! I first found a site through reading another crafting blog - called Heartmade Blessings - they have a group of people (like me) who make afghan squares in colors and sizes that are requested. They make afghans for anyone going through a crisis - from families of soldiers who gave their lives, to chemo patients, to anything that an afghan would let the recipient know they are cared for. It is a good feeling to contribute to this effort.

I then found another site, called "Hero-ghans" - and this one is for families of those in our armed services who have died in service to our country. Done in patriotic colors, and according to their rules - on this one you let them know what you have ready - and then fill a request. The notes received back from the families are touching - and such rich payment for very little effort.

On both of these sites, you identify your square with a tag, giving your name and location - how neat to receive one of these afghans and see how many different people and places contributed to it!

Changing gears....today I did get some time out in my studio, and started looking through the beads I have on hand. I found the prettiest crystal star beads from Rings N Things that I had totally forgotten I had! Resisting the impulse to complicate it....I decided to just make a simple dangle....and oh, how I like it!

Took a long head pin, slid on the pretty little star, and then some sparkly crystal Delica beads - and that was it! Simple, and very pretty!

Here they are (did I tell you I finally got my trusty scanner working again on my studio laptop? Yay and Yay!!):

and a close up of the star....so sparkly!


I'm calling these my "Star of Bethlehem" earrings - seemed the best name for them!

More to come.....stay tuned!



1 comment:

Dave Robertson said...

- Hi Trish, these delayed-release beads activated right in time for the holidays, I see. Thanks for sharing your inspiration!

:) Dave
at Rings & Things